How to make a sea kelp basket
How to make a sea kelp baskets
When I started my Etsy shop I only knew how to make sea kelp baskets and later learned more then that. I have been making them since 2011 and made a good amount of extra money and a great reputation. Everyone has asked me how do I make them. Well today is you’re lucky day because I’m going to share with you how to.
- sea kelp dried out by the sun. April through September.
- a needle that is sharp and larger then normal.
- Clothes pins
- sinew artifical thread (any color you want)
Steps to make a sea kelp basket:
- Gather the sea kelp pieces you want to use and soak them in hot water using your bathtub or kitchen sink. Soak them for 30 minutes or until pliable.
- You need to put two pieces together and if needed trim them to be even (the same size). Use clothespins to keep them in place as stitched it to the all the way to the bottom to the top of the pieces of kelp. As you go along you can take off the clothespins.
- Then fold the length of the sea kelp in half. Now you should have two sides that need to be stitch on both sides of it. As you stitch it up fill it with newspaper to shape the basket. But not all the way with the newspaper because you still have more to stitch and the newspaper will cause problems.
- While you are doing step 4.soak a small thin piece long enough to go around the rim and a thin whip handle that is the end piece of the sea kelp in hot water. You will use that as the rim.
- While you are doing step 4.soak a small thin piece long enough to go around the rim and a thin whip handle that is the end piece of the sea kelp in hot water. You will use that as the rim..Take the piece out of the water and use clothespins to keep it on the rim of the basket as you go all the way around the rim to make a clean and nice looking edge or rim.You can use any stitch that you want to make it more decorative.
- Finally cut to slits on the top back side of the basket to put the thin end of the sea kelp (whip part). Start filling it with newspaper as you design the handle you want or can fit nicely. Fill the newspaper to the handle and adjust it to stay in place. The newspaper helps it stay in place.
- Let it dry a day or two depending on the weather. And all that's left is you to decorate it.
Here's a video that quickly explains the steps but because it takes a long time to male I gave an overview of it.
Sold: one of my baskets i made recently.
Please read my disclaimer policy do to this website does receive a small commission from its affiliates.